Judi's Flying Monkeys

Sunday, October 01, 2006



I made my second TRAVEL art for the formica swap. One of them is for Lisa (the host), she will have to choose which one she likes. I'm happy with both of them. This one is a page torn from an old 1941 magazine, the article was about lady travel on the rail. The date on the Train Bulletin is April 8, 1941. Some of the ads in this magazine are amazing. If you wore the proper girdle, right shade of lipstick, shampooed with Breck, kept a spotless house, had the children settled before your husband came home from work and you greeted him (freshened up, of course) with a smile and warm meal.....you were living the American dream. I also noticed that certain tranquilizers were sold over the counter. Don't you love it?

On this collage, I have magazine pages, some little travel bling, a small piece of paper doiley stained with tea, two clear magnifier stick ons and a hat pin. Opps, some glitter too.

I'm really glad I saved some of my mom's old magazines when we cleaned out her house. Dr. Spock was the MAN back then. His whole article on traveling with children made me laugh out loud! When traveling by car, stop each day by 4 PM to make sure the children get settled in. What a hoot!

2 Comments:

At 12:37 PM , Blogger Lisa Oceandreamer Swifka said...

This collage is FANTASTIC!!! This one may not leave my home once it gets here!!!!! Isn't it funny to read how things were back then? The standards of living, the expectations a woman had? You have to wonder many years from now what our magazines will say about our era.
XOXO

 
At 2:38 PM , Blogger Lisa said...

This is amazing. Wow, the Glitter Power Sisters have been busy this weekend...it's been a very fun, artistic blogging experience this morning. I love the way you put it all together and the little bitty things, like the car.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home