Judi's Flying Monkeys

Sunday, September 17, 2006

TRAVEL ART SWAP


I finally got my 5X3 Travel Swap art done. This has been an on again- off again project because I had too many ideas going on at once. The title is;

"Some traveled the world, she traveled in her dreams."
I used the famous depression mother photo with an old bus schedule as background. Along the sides are small print outs of magazine covers when Bette Davis and Ginger Rodgers were big stars. I laminated them and tied them on the card through the eyelets. I stayed up half the night working on this because I lost all track of time. I was totally in the art zone. You should see my dining room, it looks like a zone too. Twilight zone.
While I was working on these little magazine covers I took another trip down memory lane. The magazines were 10 cents. My Mom didn't buy these magazines because I think my Dad would have flipped out if she wasted money on movie star crap. I do remember a neighbor woman bought them and I loved going to her house to read her magazines and just watch her do anything. She was divorced and light years ahead of our neighborhood. She wore bright red lipstick, movie star clothes and had a big beehive hair doo! She has been dead for years but her unique style burned an imprint in my mind. I admired her for being her own person and not worrying what others thought. She eventually moved away and married a man that adored her but she never had a Ya Ya.
Here's to all Ya Ya's that follow their dreams.

5 Comments:

At 8:53 PM , Blogger KaiBlue said...

It's beautiful!! I wish I was as creative as you Ms Redhead!! (((hugs))
Peace, Kai.

 
At 9:44 PM , Blogger Pam Aries said...

Oh yeah..We had one of those cool women in our 'hood too! she had teased bleached hair, wore lots of eyeliner, constantly had a "co-cola" or coffee in one hand...cigarette in the other. I can see her now! her name was Lila and she was my best friend's mom! To me, she was the grooviest!

 
At 5:26 AM , Blogger Daisy Lupin said...

I have never seen anything like that before, I think it is wonderful. I love old film annuals, I have some from my mother from the 40's when actors really were superstars and never seen with a hair out of place. No wonder it took you so long to make. It is great though isn't itwhen you really involved in doing something that you lose sight of time and place. xx

 
At 6:53 PM , Blogger J C said...

Redheadedgirl, that is TOTALLY AWESOME!!! I am blown away! What is the main support....cardstock? Wow, too kewl! :)

 
At 5:36 PM , Blogger nunya said...

Totally fabulous!

CarolW

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home