Judi's Flying Monkeys

Friday, August 18, 2006

the love of dishes

It seems I've alwayd had a love affair with ceramic dishes and I can't explain it. I went to culinary arts school and was trained to be a pastry chef but shifted gears before I finished my internship. I jumped into an art institute and got my degree in visual communications. Funny that after all these years I am working for a dinnerware company designing and working with chefs. It was destiny for me to be in the food service industry. As much as I love art, I love learning something new everyday. I'm always curious about who, where, when, what and how. I am currently reading a book on the art of tabletop. I keep finding things that make me stop and say....oh my gaaaawwd, I never thought about that!
I'm reading the proper names, history and use of each piece of ware. I am learning the history of pottery in general. They believe the very first dish was made accidentally by cave people that were the "gatherers." The"gatherers" made primitive baskets out of tree limbs and vines shaped like tubs to hold whatever they were gathering. Eventually they discovered if they packed river bank clay inside these baskets they could carry water. Over time the baskets would wear out and they would throw them in the FIRE and discovered the "fired" clay became hard and durable. MAGIC! The first pottery ever!

2 Comments:

At 10:16 PM , Blogger KaiBlue said...

My daughter is leaving for school next month..To be a Chef is her dream..small world.. :)
Peace, Kai.

 
At 10:51 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is such a cool thhing to know. My brother would love to be a chef but has waited a little late in life to try it. So he is the family chef. He cooks for all the family gatherings. Be it just a weekend get together or a wedding or anything in between.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home