Judi's Flying Monkeys

Saturday, December 30, 2006

SCARY BOX




This is my new project. An old drawer from an antique dresser turned into a shrine of sorts. It is titled YARD SALE FAITH! I have been gathering old rosary beads, angel pins and other religious bling from yard sales and thrift shops. I collaged a lot of angel prints that I liked in the back wall...a copy of my late husband's funeral card on the side beside the lady. The lady is a plaster piece also from an estate sale. She was pretty and pastel colored and I changed her in to a dark ghost like image. I've always been attracted to religious symbols and more so to the things that people toss out. I think….this pin or rosary must have been important to someone at some time, how can I turn this in to ART? I have been working on this off and on for a year or more. I drag it out—put it away---drag it out—put it away! I put a piece of Styrofoam on the bottom and covered it with concrete patch and pressed the angel pins in to it while it was wet. I also have a set of alphabets that you press in to cement of plaster…I pressed in FAITH, you might be able to see it. Now, here’s the bottom line. Something about this art creeps me out and it stirs dark feelings and I keep it in a closet. Annie calls it Grandma’s SCARY BOX. I am going to change this piece of unfinished art in to something that I will want to see everyday. I bet you can’t wait to see it when it’s transformed! Me too! You can click on image to enlarge.

7 Comments:

At 4:49 PM , Blogger Pam Aries said...

Personally..I love the Scary Box just as it is! I think it is good to get in touch with your dark side every now and then..keeps ya balanced, heh heh. It's the ones who stay mostly on the dark and woeful side who SCARE moi !!!! It will be interesting to see what you do to change it!

 
At 6:20 PM , Blogger gma said...

I really like this. What are you going to do to it???This is really cool....A new way to use old dresser drawers found on the road.

 
At 2:04 PM , Blogger J C said...

Love it, Redhead! It's extremely creative.

 
At 6:05 PM , Blogger Lisa said...

Well, normally this kind of thing would definitely creep me out but as I enlarged it and started looking around I got very emotional. Don't know why but that's the cool thing about art,huh? So, to me it's dark but really beautiful at the same time. I'll look forward to seeing what you do with it.

 
At 3:33 PM , Blogger shylyn said...

I love it, too. I didn't sence scary but I did sense sadness. I think you should leave it out for a few days to see how yo feel about it before you change it. Sometimes you have to really feel sadness before you can allow yourself to experience true happiness.

 
At 2:08 PM , Blogger altermyworld said...

there is nothing about this that is scary it is true it is emotion, it is art.
Ang

 
At 12:54 PM , Blogger Mary Bee said...

This is not at all scary to me. It is, however, extremely creative, and very spiritually based.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home